SINGAPORE

Tuesday, 5th March 2013

So it's insanely hot and humid in Singapore. I love the hot weather but the heat was ridiculous. Think it was about 30°C and it felt like I was melting. Found out very quickly that if you are traveling alone, you are going to get lost. 2 minutes after checking out and leaving the hostel I was lost. Had to ask this elderly couple for directions. They told me to get a map from a hotel. I did this and for the rest of the day I looked like your typical tourist with a camera around my neck, a map opened up in my hands and a confused look on my face. Still got lost with the map and ended up walking in circles for most of the day. I somehow ended up in the 'Gardens By The Bay'. It was okay I guess, not really something that interests me, but still worth a look.

After the gardens I went to Marina Bay, which is an amazing place. Had some lunch in this lovely sushi bar. Really expensive but I was hungry and couldn't find anywhere else to eat at the time. After eating I went to the Arts Science Museum. If you are ever in Singapore, you need to go there. Everything about it was brilliant. The architecture of the building is fantastic. They were currently showing 'The Art of the Brick' exhibition. Basically the artist Nathan Sawaya makes art work out of Lego. I will make another blog post later showing more photos from that exhibition. Also in the museum was the '[OUTSIDE] IN' photography showcase. Got to see photos by Jacob Aue Sobol. They were displaying his 'I, Tokyo' photos. Check them out online as they look amazing. All together I paid SIN$18. Worth every penny.

After the museum I went to Merlion Park. They have this giant statue of a mythical creature with the head of a lion and the body of a fish. Every where you looked there were tourists. Took my photos and left to go to China town. After china town I eventually made it back to the hostel, but not without getting lost again. I somehow managed to find myself in Exeter Road. Yep there is seriously a place called Exeter Road and to make things even better it is next to Devonshire Road!

Don't think I have ever walked so much in my life. Converse shoes are incredibly painful if you are walking for long distances.

Personal I think one day is enough in Singapore. Not sure what I would do if I had another day. Maybe go to the Zoo I guess. You can see most places of interest in one day if you get up early enough. By 16:30 I was pretty much done and just wanted to lay down and have a power nap.

Wrote this in the Singapore Changi airport, while waiting for my flight to Melbourne. They have free Wi Fi, which is great. Sat down and FaceTimed my parents. Got told off by the bloke sitting next to me for speaking too loudly. He asked me to leave.

In Melbourne now and incredibly jetlagged. Will update the blog with info from my stay in Melbourne later in the week.  
























No comments:

Post a Comment